The College of Idaho invites applications for a Senior Accountant. The Senior Accountant is responsible for processing payroll, accurate and timely compilation of financial information, processes journal entries into various accounts, reconciles reports and financial data.
· Records, classifies, and summarizes financial transactions and events for college operations in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
· Prepares all reconciliations and journal entries within area of responsibility within set deadlines
· Compiles financial information and assists in the preparation of reports
· Prepare audit work papers within area of responsibility including financial audit and 403b audit
· Process the College’s Payroll including distribution and collection of time sheets, both manual and electronic, verifies accuracy and appropriate authorization of time sheets, payroll processing and payroll distribution via check and EFT
· As directed by supervisor, prepare federal and state government mandated reports, including tax withholdings and gross salaries for unemployment and pension-related issues.
· Initiate payment of federal and state payroll taxes on payday
· Prepare and reconcile payroll bills and other charges on a monthly basis to ensure checks are cut by deadline.
· As directed by supervisor, prepare and distribute W-2’s and 941’s on an annual/quarterly basis
- Coordinate purchasing process for the College
- Review P-card packets for accuracy and coding
- Upload P-card file to Colleague and ensure ACH is prepared and delivered by due dates
- Responsible for training and monitoring of compliance of Pcards
- Escalate to Assistant Controller and Controller as needed potential fraud or policy issues as pertaining to P-cards
· Responsible for classifying and accounting for College’s fixed assets as well as adding additions as needed.
· Confers with faculty and staff to determine disposals.
· Responsible for amortization and depreciation schedules and entries.
· Prepares monthly PP&E reports for management.
· Be current on industry changes as it related to areas of responsibilities
· Cross train various functions within the Business Office
· Additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, in English
· Demonstrate highest relevant professional standards of customer service in execution of duties and responding to numerous inquiries
- Demonstrate ability to complete projects and assignments on deadlines
· Ability to apply and adapt to established accounting procedures to a variety of accounting transactions, problems, and situations
· Ability to analyze and interpret accounting records
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Must be self- motivated, willing to work independently
- Accuracy and attention to detail while adhering to guidelines, performance standards and policies
· Must possess a strong work ethic and unquestioned personal integrity
· Knowledge of accounting policies and procedures
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field of study or equivalent experience
· 2-5 years of accounting experience with demonstrated knowledge of accounting functions and procedures
· Experience with higher education or fund accounting is a plus
· Experience with accounting software systems required, experience with Datatel preferred; Proficiency with Microsoft suite
· Must possess a current valid driver’s license, be vehicle insurable with a good driving record in accordance with The College of Idaho’s vehicle policy.
The College of Idaho values personal attention and collegiality, thus a familiarity with and understanding of a small and residential campus are highly desirable. A sincere interest in students, excellent communication skills, and support of the College’s mission are also required.
Founded in 1891, The College of Idaho is the state’s oldest private college. The C of I has a national reputation for academic excellence and for preparing successful graduates, including seven Rhodes Scholars, three governors, four NFL players and countless business leaders and innovators. The College is located on a beautiful campus in Caldwell, a community of 50,000 located in Idaho’s vibrant Treasure Valley. Campus is just 30 minutes from downtown Boise, a thriving city with a multitude of dining and entertainment options including the Idaho Shakespeare Festival, the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra, professional sports and more. The area also offers world-class opportunities for hiking, camping, fishing, skiing, mountain biking and whitewater rafting.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States as of the expected hire date and throughout the date of the contract without sponsorship from The College of Idaho.
To apply please submit a cover letter addressing qualifications for the position, a resume, and the names and contact information of three references, two management and one professional, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application review will begin immediately. Applications will be accepted until suitable candidates are selected. To learn more about The College of Idaho, please visit www.collegeofidaho.edu.
The College of Idaho is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.