Two years ago, the Idaho Coalition Against Sexual & Domestic Violence moved into the Linen
Building with a vision to transform the commercial steam laundry building with a history of
harmful, toxic working conditions for girls and women to a space that stands for what is possible
when everyone is valued, safe, and can thrive.
Our vision is to transform the Linen Building into a home for activism and engagement by offering social justice leaders, communities, and organizations the space and support they need to spark social change. It's an event space - and more. It can spark serendipitous interactions, build relationships, create networks, and grow sustainable solutions by bringing diverse organizations together as they work to build a better world; a world where we choose all of us.
In the past two years, social justice leaders from the Women's March, Standing Rock, and the transgender community, and organizations like the Women's & Children's Alliance, ACLU, Planned Parenthood, Idaho Legal Aid, PODER of Idaho, Idaho Peace Coalition, Conservation Voters of Idaho, and Boise Bicycle Project have been able to use the event space at no or reduced cost. The Idaho Coalition also brings the broader community in through performances and art, like the Stories of Transformation or the community conversation on violence in our communities. To date, we have donated the event space over 220 times to over 80 organizations or social justice leaders, equaling donated fees of over $70,000. Together, we are re-imagining the very space that once oppressed women. We are working to unlock the full potential of ourselves and each other to transform the building into home for activism and an engagement - a community space!
By applying to be the Linen Building Venue Coordinator, you are joining and supporting our work towards a world rooted in love, equity, connection, resilience, and joy.
Venue Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities
Primary responsibility for all duties associated with venue coordination of the Linen Building 1st floor event space:
- Overseeing the booking, providing tours of the venue to prospective renters, and coordination
- Tracking the data on the rental of the venue on Excel, calendar, and other needed forms;
- Learning the sound system and any equipment to ensure functioning for events;
- Ensuring access and functionality of the venue and the coordination of cleaning by outside vendor and coordinating maintenance needs; and
- Marketing to nonprofits and progressive organizations as time permits.
- Excellent relational skills! Deep listener with clear communication skills (written and verbal) and an ability to apply these skills across a range of relationships and environments.
- Strong organization skills to effectively manage time, deadlines, and productivity.
- Ability to oversee venue with clarity, attention to detail and our vision for the space.
- Exceptional time management skills and willingness to be flexible. Ability to make decisions under pressure.
- Must be empowered, positive, motivated, and reliable.
- Must be aware of and respond to the needs of people, spoken and unspoken, and embrace diverse lifestyles and values.
- Fluent in Spanish or American Sign language or other language relevant to Idaho communities not required but preferred.
- Venue oversight, marketing, or equivalent experience not required, but a plus!
Start Date: October
Compensation: Hourly contract rate $15 - $20 for up to 15 hours a week.
Application: To apply for the contract, please email a cover letter and resume with Linen Building Venue Coordinator in the subject line to Kelly Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.