Feed the Gap, Inc.
Feed the Gap, Inc. is seeking an Executive Director to lead the expansion of our program throughout the state of Idaho.
About our Organization: Child hunger in Idaho is a chronic and critical issue that adversely impacts education in schools. Today there are 83,111 hungry children in Idaho, of which 33% do not qualify for federal nutrition assistance. These 27,426 * hungry children come from families who often work two and three jobs at minimum wage with household incomes that barely exceed the national and state poverty levels. These parents work hard, yet at times, there simply is not enough money for the most basic of needs - food for their children. Sometimes, a school meal is the only meal a child will receive on a given day.
Feed the Gap Inc., through partnerships established with individual school districts, is the only 501(c)3 organization in Idaho feeding hungry children in their school cafeteria. In each participating district, school administrators identify these hungry children who are given a special number which enables them to walk through their cafeteria line for breakfast and lunch without anyone knowing their families are facing financial difficulties. Monthly, each school district invoices Feed the Gap school by school with the number of children fed breakfast and lunch, the cost of the meals, and the number of times a child accesses Feed the Gap. Feed the Gap works closely with each district to ensure transparency and accountability for each monthly funding. In 2018, Feed the Gap will provide funding for approximately 15,000 school meals in the Boise, Marsing, and Emmett school districts. Our objective is to extend this program to every school district in Idaho.
To learn more about us, go to www.feedthegap.org and like us on Facebook at Feed the Gap, Inc.
See our video and PSA at the following sites: https://vimeo.com/160374827 and https://vimeo.com/161949724
Executive Director Position: Reporting to the Feed the Gap Board of Directors, the position of the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the program and possess an understanding of childhood and adult hunger issues in Idaho and current methods in use to reduce hunger.
Responsibilities: The Director’s top priorities are fundraising, program management/expansion and communications. Responsibilities will evolve as Feed the Gap continues to grow:
Leadership & Management:
- Ensure current program excellence, rigorous review of the accountability model, and careful oversight of finance, fundraising, communications, and information systems.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors: serve as ex-officio of each committee, seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for both ongoing local operations as well as future statewide rollout.
- Working with the board, committees and Founding President, build partnerships in new markets, establishing relationships with the funders, and political and community leaders at each future site.
- Continue the design and execution of effective and collaborative programs to eradicate the hunger experienced by children in Idaho.
Capital Development & Communications:
- Working closely with the Founding President and Board, expand fundraising opportunities to support both existing and expansion of the program
- Deepen existing donor relations through effective identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of new donors and influencers outside Feed the Gaps existing circle of support.
- Engage and energize existing Feed the Gap volunteers, board members, Founding Members, Key Grant donors and partnering organizations
- Deepen and refine all aspects of Feed the Gap communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of maintaining a consistent and relevant dialogue with both our existing circle of support and those that become interested in furthering the mission of Feed the Gap.
- Publish and communicate program results with an emphasis on the successes of the local program as a model for regional and statewide replication
Qualifications: The successful Executive Director candidate should demonstrate the experience and skills in balancing the primary responsibilities outlined and should meet or exceed the following criteria:
A four year degree or equivalent relevant experience in the not for profit industry.
- Organizational leadership with 5 or more years of progressive management, capital development and marketing/communications experience
- Experience and demonstrated track record of success with fundraising and capital development. Has an established base of connections with individuals, professionals, businesses and community organizations with which to draw upon to friend-raise and fundraise for Feed the Gap
- Demonstrated track record of having led an organization through multi-staged growth and expansion
- Strong level of media savvy with excellent verbal, written, and digital communication skills and the ability to communicate with a wide range of audiences. Is a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills. Comfortable with community outreach and being the face of the organization in the community.
- Very proficient with computer-based communication tools such as standard computer programs (Word, Excel, Power-point) in order to produce effective correspondence, spreadsheets and slide show presentations
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation and accountability
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing and extended board member relationships
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative with the ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people. Is passionate, self-directed with high integrity.
Compensation: Full time position with salary based on experience and health insurance benefits.
To Apply: Please email a single file (preferably PDF format) to: email@example.com containing:
- A letter describing your qualifications and experience as it relates to this position;
- Your current resume with phone, address, and email contact information;
- The names and contact information for three professional references; and,
- A writing sample of which you are the sole author.
Position is open until filled; application review will begin April 6, 2018.