Title: Adult Educator
Supervisor: Executive Director
Status: Part-time, 16-20 hours/wk.
Class Times: Monday – Thursday, 6 pm to 9 pm
Other daytime hours required.
Paid hourly: DOE - Rate begins at $16.50
Adult Educators supervise and lead classes, working directly with Adult Basic Skills (ABS) students, English Language Learners (ELL), GED students and Learning Lab volunteer tutors. Adult Educators assess students’ literacy levels at enrollment and conduct periodic testing. They also create individual lesson plans based on interviews with students and shared goal setting. This position is unique in its leadership role in the classroom, with most of the implementation of lesson plans conducted by volunteer tutors.
Essential Job Responsibilities
· Includes responsibility for the day-to-day organization and success of assigned classes
· Help conduct student orientations and intake interviews
· Complete Individual Lessons Plans for each student, based on student’s stated goals
· Enroll student in appropriate computer curricula
· Monitor individual student progress on a daily basis. Provide/prepare intervening student exercises to promote success when needed
· Evaluate student progress between 65 - 80 hours of class using Learning Lab’s standardized outcome measurement tools
· Document student progress after each evaluation and subsequent conversations with student, revising Lesson Plans to reflect students’ goals
· Share student performance and related information with other educators to contribute to quality improvement opportunities
· Maintain an organized classroom setting, including necessary set up or clean up, including managing break room supplies
· Ensure adequate supplies for students and volunteers
· Substitute in other classes and assists with testing as requested
· Direct, assist and coach volunteer tutors to ensure both student and tutor success. Plan and direct class activities for volunteer tutors
· Develop a cohesive team approach with volunteers in the classroom, modeling respect, optimism, and encouragement
· Assist with volunteer tutor orientations, meetings, training workshops and recognition
· Record student demographics, progress, notes, and volunteer activities; including attendance in database as directed
· Report student attendance concerns to Education Program Coordinator
· Document information to maintain student scholarship and billing system
· Participate in public awareness and fundraising events as needed
· Work with a variety of educational software and troubleshoot basic hardware and program/research/operational computer problems for students
· Other duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree with experience teaching or training adults and working with volunteers
· Good IT skills, including Microsoft Office, research and social media
- Strong commitment to the Learning Lab’s mission
- Experience demonstrating cooperation and collaboration in an educational setting
- A positive attitude, respectful of all people and a basic belief that everyone has potential to learn
- Comfortable working with adults
from a variety of backgrounds and countries of origin who have a wide
range of functional literacy skills
- Enjoys team leadership in directing and coaching volunteers
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Strong cultural awareness and sensitivity skills
- Ability to work independently, prioritize and demonstrate self-discipline
- Willingness to participate in a variety of work-related tasks necessary in a small, nonprofit organization
Must be able to provide own transportation to class locations as necessary and be able to transport classroom materials, up to 20 lbs.
This recruitment is primarily for evening classes. The successful candidate will work from 6 pm to 9pm, Monday through Thursday evenings. Class locations include Garden City and an additional site in the Boise area. In addition, the incumbent attends some Friday morning meetings.
Please send your resume and a cover letter to Ann Heilman, Executive Director, Learning Lab at email@example.com.
In your cover letter, please describe you meet the qualifications above, and why you want to work at Learning Lab.
Application screening will begin May 7, 2018, and the position will remain open until filled. June 1 is the target hiring date.